Thursday, November 3, 2011

Part 1

A lot can happen over the years.

10 years ago.. I was most likely getting home from a night out on the town.

8 years ago.. About the same ;-)

7 years ago.. My life was about to change. The best change that could have ever happened to me.

November 3, 2004 was the day I went into labor with my little monster. Seems like ages ago… but I remember every little detail. I thought I was going to be pregnant forever!

A little backstory… I went into preterm labor on September 28th. I didn’t know it.. And at first didn’t even feel the contractions. I had a Non Stress Test that day and as soon as they hooked me up to the monitor, there they were.. Every 2-3 minutes. The nurse was shocked.. Hell, I was shocked. I was given a shot to try to stop the labor, but it didn’t work. Persistent little contractions.. And they were working too! I was dilated to 2cm. So I was given a 2nd shot and it worked. Thankfully! At 34 weeks, my little guy wasn’t done cooking. So I was sent home on bed rest. (Which I started AFTER a quick Target trip to get comfy pjs lol) Sooo.. My due date of Halloween came and went with no bundle of joy. I was avoiding answering the phone because I got SO damn tired of people calling and asking “Did ya have that baby yet?” .

I had a Dr appt on November 3rd and expected to be told no change and that this baby was perfectly content in the womb. Mom and I made plans for lunch AFTER my appointment (Cracker Barrel) but we never got that lunch. Dr. R checked me (still 2 cm) and said, “How would you like to have a baby today?” I was dumbfounded. I sat out in the waiting room while the nurse prepared my paper work with that “deer in headlights look”. I remember Mom telling me to stop because I was scaring other patients. LoL As much as I was looking forward to my still unnamed little guy, I was NOT looking forward to the pitocin. I had heard horror stories about that drug. Once in my LD room, I get changed into the gown and go to the bathroom, only to find out I had lost my mucous plug! It was so gross but I was so happy! I got hooked up on the monitors and I was having contractions! Nothing too regular.. But I could feel them. They told me to relax for a few hours and at around 6pm they would insert a Cervadil to help things along and then another one at midnight and pitocin wouldn’t start until the next morning. Well my body FINALLY knew what to do and it by the time I got the 2nd cervadil I was having regular contractions and dilating/effacing! I remember watching the monitor and seeing the contractions start to graph before I could actually feel them. Strangest thing ever! By midnight I was 4 cm and became best friends with my anesthesiologist. There was no way I was doing this without an epidural. . .

To be continued..

No comments: